Sunday, December 23, 2012

Searching for Stars Hollow















I'm so sad about the shooting in Newtown.  My heart goes out to all of the families this holiday season.  Last year, I recall driving through central Connecticut in search of Washington Depot which is right outside of Newtown.  We found this campus that looked like a prep school, but it was actually Fairfield State Psychiatric Ward, which was shut down years ago, located in Newtown.  The abandoned buildings were fascinating to look at - beautiful architecture and you tend to wonder...if only these walls could talk.  I got chills when I realized that we had been through that town after the shooting occurred last week.  It's a reminder to us all - we need to enjoy every moment because we never know how much time we have.

So, what led me on the quest to Washington Depot in the first place?  I've been a long time fan of the hit TV show Gilmore Girls.  My dream for years has been to find a town like Stars Hollow to live in.  Stars Hollow is a fictional town that has a strong sense of community, quirky characters, and constant seasonal activities.  Amy Sherman Palladino, the creator of Gilmore Girls, stumbled upon a town, Washington Depot, which was the inspiration for Stars Hollow during a summer road trip.  She fell in love with the community.  Everyone seemed to know each other.  We stopped by The Mayflower Inn and were surprised with a gorgeous Christmas tree with gifts and a large fireplace.  It was the coziest Christmas scene I have ever seen.  The town reminded me of my hometown of Clarence, NY.  What I realized in the end is sometimes the thing you've been looking for may be right in front of you all along.  Every area has beautiful little gems.  Wishing you a happy healthy holiday!

Merry Christmas!  Go explore around your hometown! 

No comments:

Post a Comment