Saturday, October 27, 2012
When planning your wedding look for inspiration that will make your day extra special. Months before my wedding I felt compelled to research as much as I could. I had only attended maybe five or six weddings before, so I couldn't remember any of the details like what was the song the bride walked down the aisle to, or what type of style dancing did the bride and groom choose for their first dance. Even though movies are a bit exaggerated they can provide some great resources and it's also a great way to relax a little bit and laugh at how overwhelming the process of wedding planning can be.
What are some of your favorite wedding movies? Mine are:
My top 10 Best Wedding Movies
10. Father of the Bride (1991) - a total tear jerker - this has been a favorite of mine since I first saw it when I was 8 years old
9. My Best Friend's Wedding - Really fun songs - i added the song "What the world needs now is love sweet love" to my wedding playlist after I saw this movie
8. Bride Wars - LOVE the dresses and hairstyles in this movie, plus watching these two BFFs fight will help you keep your bridezilla in check
7. My Big Fat Greek Wedding - This movie reflects how different families can be...especially when it comes to how they perceive their wedding day regardless of your ethnic background too. EVERY family has different traditions
6. The Wedding Singer - Great music inspiration that will get your guests on the dance floor. Who doesn't love 80's music?
5. The Wedding Planner - I can never watch this movie enough. Jennfier Lopez plays such a sweet lady you can't help to cheer her on. Helps you to see maybe you should splurge and get that Wedding Planner, so your day will be flawless...just make sure to keep her far away from your man :-)
4. Wedding Crashers - one of the funniest wedding movies ever
3. The Five Year Engagement - This movie is so hilarious and shows how stressful wedding planning can be these days. Also, we agree that a five year engagement just means trouble.
2. Bridesmaids -Very funny movie to help you lighten up about all the wedding planning. I'd love these ladies as my bridesmaids!
1. Runaway Bride - Just don't get any ideas here!
For custom bridal accessories check out our page!
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
LIKE us on facebook for fashion updates!
Thursday, October 11, 2012
I'm so excited to start working on a signature textile pattern for the jewelry company where I work. I immediately went to Pinterst (the best site ever) for inspiration. I researched all the great fashion textiles by Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Michael Kors, then I began gathering some wallpaper designs from Farrow & Ball. A signature textile helps to compliment the brand. The trick is to make it interesting, but simple.
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Did you love or hate the look?
Friday, October 5, 2012
What desk is complete without a little bling? I totally believe in feng shei. Sometimes I get a bit busy and my desk gets cluttered. Anytime I get a minute I try to reorganize and create visually pleasing little compositions. We spend so many hours during the week at our desk we might as well enjoy it, right?! Here I have the latest rhinestone and pearl necklace design by an FIT student who won our competition at work, an antique mirror, my favorite magazines Real Simply and Martha Stewart Weddings, some hand designed print packaging from a candy bar wrapper, vase full of pearls and orchids. I like to surround myself with pretty things and things that will help inspire my designs.
What does your desk look like?
Thursday, October 4, 2012
At Rice Rafferty, we love experimenting with new materials and concepts. For the Runway 3.0 Fashion show for Buffalo State College Carol Ann Rice Rafferty designed a line of clothing/accessories based on theme of technology. She wanted a futuristic look with a romantic twist. She wanted to add lights to our accessories (tutus, gaitors, etc), but we didn't want the models to have heavy battery packs strapped to their backs. We discovered the Glowbys Fiberoptic Lights on the Save on Crafts website. They offer a variety of colors and you can simply clip them on your clothing or your hair. Save on Crafts now features us on their site! It's a great resource for wedding supplies.
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
The days are getting colder and I'm getting into hibernation mode. I've been making homemade chicken noodle soups and chocolate chip cookies (my favorite). I've also been enjoying being inside more and doing more design work. I've slowly been retouching all of my wedding photographs. This was taken in Buffalo, NY, on the porch of the Marcy Casino, next to Hoyt Lake. The birdcage veil was handmade by me and my mom (Rice Rafferty) and we made the headbands for the bridesmaids as gifts. We also made the flower rhinestone pin on my dress from an antique pin from my grandmother. I wanted a vintage style wedding with a modern twist.
Pearl Stud Earring, Ralph Lauren
Pearl Bracelet, CAROLEE
Headbands, Rice Rafferty
Shoes, Nina Shoes
Dresses, David's Bridal
Bridal Veil and Headbands, Rice Rafferty
Dress, Mori Lee (it's also convertible)
Flowers - Maureen's Buffalo Wholesale Florist
Hairstyles - SALON SALON
Photo by Dave Wahl
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
At Rice Rafferty we've been working on some new vintage inspired veil designs. Our most recent design is the Juliet Cap. The name stems from...you guessed it...the most romantic Shakespeare play ‘Romeo and Juliet’ - original drawings of Juliet depicted her wearing a cap that fit neatly to the top of her head. This style became popular in the 1920s and is making a comeback today. Some famous ladies who have worn this style on their wedding day are Jackie Kennedy, Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly, and even Kate Moss.
Please like our facebook page to learn about new designs and discount codes https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rice-Rafferty-Couture-Accessories/203899441756
more designs on our Etsy site
Anne Hathaway's wedding photo? Rice Rafferty LOVES her elegant veil and headpiece. Now we want to make a piece inspired by her look. Headbands have become a hot wedding accessory trend.