Monday, December 14, 2009

St. Lucia Day


December 13 was St. Lucia Day. I first heard of this day when I was a child reading my American Girl Kirsten books. It's a Swedish custom, the first born daughter puts on a white gown, wears a wreath with candles on her head and wakes her family with a tray of sweets before dawn. This tradition came about because December is the darkest time of the year and it is thought that Lucifer will come and get you on this night. So people celebrate St. Lucia by throwing parties and people sing and dance all night long. Another essential part of this day is baking St. Lucia buns! These buns have been on my mind for years. I always wanted to make them, so finally this year my mother and I baked them! The buns were so adorable (I never thought I'd describe a baked good this way, but they were!). It felt like Kirsten's story was coming to life in my kitchen. They were quite delicious too. Since you might have missed celebrating St. Lucia day I recommend baking the buns for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment