Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Saying Goodbye to the Turnpike Ride at Kennywood Park




I'm very sad to report the Turnpike Ride at Kennywood in Pittsburgh, Pa had its final ride (until further notice...it might be brought back).

I have the fondest memories of going to Kennywood Park every year in May. Spring was in the air, the sun was shining, school was almost out for the summer and I was making my way over the river and through the woods to Kennywood Park we go! One of the greatest things about Kennywood were the old rides they still maintain. The Turnpike was the first ride that would greet you as you entered Kennywood Park, so of course it was the first ride you would go on! My favorite rides were not the roller coasters or the rides that spin in circles; my favorites were the "laugh in the dark" rides, water rides, and the small car rides such as the Turnpike. While taking the wheel on the Turnpike it allowed me to transform from a small child to an adult. I imagined I was off far in the country driving on the highway. You could see other children proudly steering their cars with large smiles on their faces and laughing with joy as they drove their parents around the track. I hope we meet again Turnpike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment