Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Live Today for Tomorrow is Uncertain

Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.
Helen Keller

Last weekend my great Aunt died.  We have a very small family, so one person really makes a big difference.  I was lucky to see her just a few hours before she died.  It was sad to see her in this state and not her happy, bubbly self.  I looked at how beautiful her skin appeared and I admired her beautiful wedding picture sitting in her room.  I wondered...Did Aunt Katie have any regrets?

A death tends to bring up all the old feelings of grief from everyone you've loved and lost.  Death also causes me to ask - "Am I doing what I want with my life?"  "What can I do today to minimize the regrets I may have on my death bed.  Live life to the fullest!  There really is no time like today to make a mends with an old friend or a family member that you lost touch with.  Every day presents new opportunities for change.  Do you have any regrets?  Is there some trip you'd like to take or an instrument to learn?


Last night I had this sudden urge to gesso a canvas and just free form paint.  Some emotions can only be expressed with a pen or a brush.

The funeral is over now.  Family flew in from California, Washington state, Louisiana, NYC, Florida, and Buffalo. Everyone has returned home, but we're left with this sinking feeling that a member of our family is no longer here.  Even though we can't see Aunt Katie anymore she lives on in all of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment